Call Now For A Free Case Evaluation


A traffic ticket deferral in Washington State is a unique program that the legislature made which allows an individual to keep a traffic ticket off their record. In essence, it involves putting a ticket on hold for six to 12 months; if during that time the individual complies with the conditions of the deal, then their ticket will be dismissed. A traffic ticket deferral can only be done once every seven years for a moving or non-moving violation.

Can I Keep A Traffic Ticket Off My Record?

There are three primary ways to keep a ticket off of a record. The first way is by asking for a contested hearing where the defendant might be able to fight the ticket and have it dismissed successfully. The second option would be to work out a deal with the prosecutor that reduces a moving violation to a non-moving violation; the non-moving violation would remain on the driving record. The third option would be to request a traffic ticket deferral.

How Do I Request A Deferral of An Infraction?

Each court has specific requirements for requesting a deferral; some only require a person to mail in the ticket and request, while others will require a mitigation hearing and an official request before a judge. It is always best to call the court in question and inquire about the specific process of requesting a deferral.

What Does It Cost to Defer My Traffic Infraction?

The cost associated with deferring a traffic infraction will depend on the location of the court. According to the statute, the courts are allowed to charge an administrative fee for deferrals, which usually falls between $150 and $200. Some courts require a person to pay the face value of the ticket. If a court is charging the face value of the ticket, then they probably will not charge an additional administrative fee, but each court sets its policy.

For more information on Traffic Deferrals in Washington, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (253) 201-2001 today.

Antonio Garguile

Call Now For A Free Case Evaluation
(253) 201-2001